Kitchens & Baths
Granite & Marble
(631) 772-4660 Mastic Location (631) 801-6080 Medford Location email@example.com
Granite countertops are gorgeous. Their classic elegance exudes distinction in the kitchen and bathroom, and matched with outstanding durability, the granite countertops you select might be the last countertops your home will ever need.
Granite is a natural stone, quarried from large igneous stone deposits found around the world. It begins as molten magma that flows into other rock structures and cools slowly. The stone is naturally quite rough and textured, but when it is ground and polished during the countertop manufacturing process, it takes on a smooth surface with rich luster.
Granite is comprised of a many different minerals that give each countertop slab a unique and attractive appearance. For example, granite high in feldspar will have rich red or pink highlights. Mica produces brown or black veining while quartz gives pink, white or black hues to the stone.
Let’s take a look at the strengths and weaknesses of granite countertops.
Granite Countertop Advantages:
- Among the most beautiful countertop materials
- Accentuate the good looks of quality kitchen cabinets
- Natural stone for those who want an ecofriendly countertop
- Excellent strength and durability with proper care
- Resistant to scratches and damage from heat such as pans or hot hair tools
- Good stain resistance and easy to clean when sealed correctly
Granite Countertop Disadvantages:
- Improper sealing or failure to reseal granite when needed can lead to staining of this porous stone
- Poorly sealed granite may also harbor bacteria
- There are about 20 different colors varieties of granite while other materials are available in 100+ colors and patterns
- Corners may chip or break if a heavy object falls on them
- There are several types of countertops such as laminate or wood that are more affordable (if not as pretty or durable)
To summarize the strengths and weaknesses of granite countertops, the primary advantages this material provides are distinctive beauty and outstanding durability when properly maintained. The biggest potential drawback is staining that occurs when the homeowner either buys cheap granite countertops that haven’t been properly sealed or fails to reseal them when needed.